Kamarudin B. Mohd. Nor
Sr Professor Dato’ Dr
DSDK, AMK, PJK, PPB
BSc Hons HBP (Architecture) Universiti Sains Malaysia
MSc (Construction Management) Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh
PhD [Architecture] Welsh School of Architecture, University of Wales Cardiff
FRISM, FRICS, MBEng ( Association of Building Engineers UK),
MCIArb (The Chartered Institute of Arbitration UK),
Deputy Rector [Academic and Development] of ASWARA
66 years [Born on 19 October 1948 in Alor Setar, Kedah Darulaman, Malaysia]
Married to Madam [Datin] Wan Norisah Wan Ishak
Blessed with 3 children and a grandchild.
Welsh School of Architecture, University of Wales, Cardiff
Faculty of Civil Engineering, Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, Scotland
MSc (Construction Management – Building)
School of Housing, Building and Planning, University Sains Malaysia, Penang, Malaysia
BSc (Housing, Building and Planning) Hons. (Majoring in Architecture)
Passed Green Building Index [GBI] Facilitator Course and Examination (GBI/FC/10/11) on 19th, 20th and 21st November 2010 and 18th December 2010. Accredited [Registration No: 0425]
FRISM (Fellow of the Royal Institution of Surveyors Malaysia in the Building Surveying Division) – Registration No. F2819 dated 24th February 2005
FRICS (Fellow of the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors UK) – Register No. 1222105 dated 12th November 2005.
MBEng (Member of the Association of Building Engineers )- Registration No. 10339 dated 24th November 2000
MCIArb (Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitration UK)- Registration No. 17953 dated 19th January 2000
DSDK [DARJAH SETIA DI RAJA KEDAH] BERGELAR DATO’ .[KEDAH DARULAMAN STATE]
AMK [AHLI MAHKOTA KEDAH] [KEDAH DARULAMAN STATE]
PJK [PINGAT JAKSA KEBAKTIAN PULAU PINANG] [PENANG STATE]
PPB [PINGAT PERKHIDMATAN BAKTI [ANGKATAN TENTERA MALAYSIA] [MALAYSIAN ARMED FORCES] –after serving the armed forces as a reservist [ with the rank of a “Captain” ] for 5 years from 1981-1985.
ACADEMIC [AROUND 22 YEARS]
· Since 22 November 2013 – Member of the Academic Programmes on MSc Property Development Management and MSc Housing Development, UUM (Universiti Utara Malaysia)
· 7th-9th November 2013 - Jury for Ekspo Penyelidikan dan Ciptaan Institusi Pengajian Tinggi Antarabangsa 2013 (PECIPTA) [International Higher Academic Institutions Research and Innovation Expo], KLCC, Kuala Lumpur.
· Since 18th September 2013 – Member, Pro Tem Committee of Higher Education Institutions Quality Network, Malaysian Quality Agency [MQA]
· Since 22nd May 2013 – Member of the Advisory Committee on the Masters of Management Science and Property Development [M.Sc REMD] programme of Universiti Utara Malaysia [Northern University of Malaysia]
· Since 1st April 2013 – Deputy Rector (Deputy Vice Chancellor )[Academic and Development] of ASWARA [Akademi Seni, Budaya dan Warisan (The National Academy of the Arts, Culture and Heritage) under the Ministry of Tourism and Culture of Malaysia] – Familiar with the MQA requirements.
· Since 1st April 2013 – Academic Advisor, Langkawi International College, Langkawi, Malaysia.
· Since 1st April 2013 – Academic Consultant, the proposed Halim Mazmin/ Langkawi International University University, Malaysia.
· Since 1st March 2013 -Trainer on Green Technology and sustainable construction with the CIDB Malaysia.
· Since1st February 2013 – Academic Consultant, the proposed Reng University of Technology and Design, Malaysia.
· Since 1 October 2011- Academic Advisor, Restu College, Shah Alam.
· Since 15 September 2011 – Co-ordinator, Green Campus Development, UniKL and 28 MARA campuses.
· Since 2 February 2011, Professor , UniKL Business School, Universiti Kuala Lumpur.
· Since 24 January 2011 – Member, Technical Committee on Best Green Technology Practices in the Construction Industry, CIDB Malaysia. Also Chairman of Working Group on Training and Promotion of Green Technology.
· Since 11 January 2011 – Member, Technical Committee on the Industrialised Building System, CIDB Malaysia.
· Subject Matter Expert [Sustainable Construction], Open University Malaysia [ May 2010 – June 2012]
· Professor in Architecture and Building Surveying, UCSI University, Cheras, Kuala Lumpur [22 February 2010 – 30 January 2011]
· Adjunct Professor, Faculty of Built Environment, Universiti Malaya [7 January 2010 – 7 January 2011]
· Since 1 October 2009 – Member of the Advisory Board of the Journal of Building Performance, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia.
· Since 4 May 2009 – Academic Advisor, the London College of Professional Skills, Uxbridge Road, London.
· Visiting Professor in Environmental and Building Engineering, Universiti Malaysia Perlis –taught in areas of environmental law and management, safety and health and project management [1 October 2008 -31 January 2009]
· -Vice President of the Institution of Surveyors Malaysia and Chairman of Building Surveying Division [May 2005 – April 2007]
· Associate Professor, School of Environmental Engineering University of Malaysia Perlis. Also Coordinator of the Quality Unit and Project Advisor for the new 1,000 acre campus [1 October 2006 – September 2008]
· Honorary Member of the International Scientific Committee, Univ. of Salford, Manchester, UK [July 2001-June 2004 ]
· Associate Professor, School of Housing, Building and Planning, Univ. Sains Malaysia [October 1986 – April 1997]
· Dean of School of Housing, Building and Planning; Univ. Sains Malaysia [USM] [December 1988 – November 1991 ]
· Lecturer and Chairman of Building Economics and Management Programme and then appointed as Acting Dean of the School of Housing, Building and Planning, Universiti Sains Malaysia [November 1979 – February 1983]
· As an external and internal examiner to 4 PhD candidates and to 50 MSc candidates1987
INDUSTRY AND CIVIL SERVICE [AROUND 13 YEARS FULL TIME PLUS 4 YEARS ON A PART TIME BASIS]:
· Minister Counselor (Education) with the Malaysian High Commission in the UK and Director of the Malaysian Students Department (MSD) for the UK and EIRE in London. Looking after the welfare and academic progress of 12,000 odd Malaysian students all over the UK and the Republic of Ireland. Also involved in the maintenance of 3 Malaysia Halls in London, Belfast and Dublin [ 16 October 2000 – 15 June 2004]
· General Manager (Construction Business Development Division), Construction Industry Development Board Malaysia or CIDB– mainly responsible for the exploration of construction business opportunities overseas and improving construction procurement systems in Malaysia. [from December 1998 to January 2000]
· Managing Director Bina Darulaman Berhad – a Public listed property development company (a subsidiary of Kedah State Dev. Corp.) [from May 1997 to May 1999 ]
· Construction Manager, Dixon Homes Malaysia Sdn. Bhd., Kulim, Kedah Darul Aman ( a prefabricated housing construction specialist with the Head Office in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia) March 1983 to July 1983 (left because the company had to be closed down due to financial problems)
· Project Manager and Designer, Arkitek Maju Chartered Architects, Alor Setar - August 1983 to November 1986 (VSS as the firm experienced financial problems due to the recession).
· General Manager, Syarikat Peruda Kedah Sdn. Bhd. (a housing and commercial development J-V company between Kedah State Development Corporation and Urban Development Authority of Malaysia) - Sept. 1976 to October 1978
(left to further my studies at an MSc level at Heriot-Watt Univ, Edinburgh, Scotland from 1978-1979.
· State Civil Service Officer, Kedah State Government (KCS) January 1970 to June 1972 (left to further my studies at the BSc level)
Last Post - Assistant State Secretary (Local Govt.)
Coordinated low-cost housing programmes and the runnings of local authorities in the State of Kedah
Courses Taught Since 1979:
Construction Management – Univ Sains Malaysia
Building Economics – Univ Sains Malaysia
Construction Law – Univ Sains Malaysia
Architectural Design – Univ Sains Malaysia
Project Management – Univ Sains Malaysia (Post-Grad level)
Facilities and Maintenance Management – Univ Sains Malaysia
Principles of Environmental Engineering – Univ Malaysia Perlis
Building Conservation – Universiti Malaya
Sustainable Construction – Open Univ of Malaysia (Post-Grad level)
Architectural Technology – UCSI Univ
Architectural Research – UCSI Univ
Innovation Management – Univ Kuala Lumpur (also at Post-Grad Level)
Green Technology Management - Univ Kuala Lumpur (also at Post-Grad Level)
Human Resource Management – Univ Kuala Lumpur (also at UUM study centre, Kuala Lumpur)
Business Research Methods – Univ Kuala Lumpur
Entrepreneurship – Univ Kuala Lumpur
Business Ethics and Corporate Social Services [CSR]– Univ Kuala Lumpur (also at Post-Grad level)
Innovation in the Creative Industries – ASWARA or Akademi Seni, Budaya dan Warisan (Post-Grad Level)
Research in the Creative Industries.- ASWARA or Akademi Seni, Budaya dan Warisan (Post-Grad Level)
Entrepreneurship in the Creative Industries - ASWARA or Akademi Seni, Budaya dan Warisan (Post-Grad Level)
Laws and Intellectual Property in the Creative Industries - ASWARA or Akademi Seni, Budaya dan Warisan (Post-Grad Level)
Trainings Conducted Since 1981
Principles of Project Management – a training course for Urban Development Authority officres in 1981
Principles of Construction Management – a training course for post-grad students of UiTM in 2000
Principles of Construction Management – a training course for members of the Royal Institute of Surveyors Malaysia) in 2005
Principles of Project Management – a training programme ( a joint-venture between CIDB Malaysia and Univ Malaysia Perlis) for contractors in Kedah and Perlis in 2007.
Maintenance Management – a training course for building managers in and about Kuala Lumpur in 2007
Facilities Management – a training programme organized by UNESCO and CIDB Malaysia in Kuala Lumpur on 23 Nov. 2012
Awareness on Green Design and Construction – a training programme for contractors in Selangor organized by CIDB Malaysia in Kuala Lumpur in 2013
· From 1995 to 1997 – 4 MSc (Project Management) – Lost record of their names and titles of their dissertation.
· 2006 to 2009 – PhD on “the Challenging Factors on the Implementation of Green Building” by Nazaruddin Yussof of UUM.
· 2010-2011- Supervised 3 MSc Project Management students of OUM. Record lost.
· 2012 till now – Co-supervised 3 PhD students of UniKL:
Hooman Abadi – “Issues in Green Building Implementation in Malaysia””
Amirul Imran Mohd Ali – “The laws relating to Green Building in Malaysia”
Ahmad Hazari Ismail – Affordable Housing. Application of green elements”
Supervising the following Masters students at ASWARA:
Ahmad Quiem – “Marketing of Traditional Arts”
Bahizal Abu Bakar – “Strategic Planning of PuTRA – a traditional Arts Organisation”
· Umar Kassim, Sobry Abdullah, Luqman Walid, Kamarudin Mohd Nor, Zulkifli Udin” Application of industrialised building system (ibs) in Malaysia-case study in Perlis State.” Funded by UniMAP. RM 20,000. Completed.
· Sustainable Building Materials: Ferrocement-Clay Roof Tiles”. With Umar Kassim of UniMAP. RM20,000 (funded by UniMAP). Completed.